One of the most frequently asked questions we get in our support email is “How long will it take to get my charity registered”. That depends on 3 factors: organizational paperwork preparedness, number of states registering, and the state office for which you are registering.
Prior to beginning the process you should have all of the following paperwork/information in hand to facilitate completing the questions that are required to fill in the forms. If you look at the left-hand side on the SimpleCharityRegistration.com website the navigation bar divides the questions by topic. The sections will give you a sense of the types of required information you will need. You can even click on the sections ahead before entering information to see what you will need next.
In addition to the 990, 990-EZ, 990-PF or other financial reporting you will need:
- Info on the origins of the charity, such as formation date and state, 501(c) designation and date or application date, organization type, purpose, mission, etc.
- if this is an initial registration in states, you will also need to attach the articles of incorporation and by-laws
- list of sources of government grants
- personnel — list of board members with addresses (usually a business address other than the charity), key employees and their salaries and positions, and information about whether any of these people have connections to other related organizations or have any interaction with government agencies or courts
- list of any paid professional fundraisers used by your charity along with their contracts and terms
- a list of chapters, branches or offices of the organization
- a list of resident agents for the states required as explained on the right side of the Resident Agent page
Most of these items are for answering the questionnaire, but some, like the articles of incorporation and by-laws, will need to be copied and attached to the registration form upon submission.
For the data entry, depending on the size of your organization, you should allow a few days just in case you need to contact other administrators in your office for missing information. The next step is proofing and putting the packages together. Add some signatures and stamps and you are on your way.
Number of States
The best part about having an account with SimpleCharityRegistration.com is once all the information is in the software printing and preparing each consecutive state application becomes easier and the next year when it is time to renew you only need to review the prior year’s information and add the current financials and you are on your way to knocking this once burdensome process right out of the park!!
States Where Registering
Depending on the time of year and which states you are registering the time for approval can take a couple of business days up to 6 weeks or more. Take note of the renewal date for each state when registering as you know that will be the time of year the state offices will be the busiest and your initial registration application may take a little longer.
Please contact us with any comments, questions or concerns at (800) 780-6027 or support@SimpleCharityRegstration.com.